The Edge is State Library of Queensland’s space for creativity, ideas and experimentation.
The Edge hosts a dynamic program of events, workshop, meetups and community lab sessions, as well as collaborative spaces to work on your projects.
Explore the range of free facilities, hardware, software and equipment available to help you create.
- Digital Media Lab: The software available includes professional software for graphic design, audio and video editing, web and app development, game design, animation and programming.
- Recording Studio: A near professional environment for recording, editing and mixing sound.
- Window Bays: Perfect for small group meetings, these small spaces seat up to 12 people, are equipped with power and data connections and overlook the river.
- Fabrication Lab: The Edge basement houses a creative space with a host of resources for you to bring your creative visions to life. It is an open access community makerspace with equipment and tools available to anyone with a creative idea. If you have a hobby, project, assignment or an idea for a business that requires a laser cutter, soldering station, 3D printer, sewing machine or CNC Router, The Edge’s Fabrication Lab can help. You just have to be over 16, wear covered footwear and have completed the relevant safety induction.
- Equipment: A range of equipment is available for use onsite, including cameras, Wacom tablets, zoom recorders, tripods and headphones. Ask at reception on arrival for the equipment you require.
- SLQ Wiki: This platform has been developed to reflect State Library’s commitment to sharing intellectual property which has been developed with public resources, including content created at The Edge.
- Brisbane Tool Library: The Brisbane Tool Library Inc is a social enterprise that allows people to borrow hand and power tools, camping gear, and assorted sporting equipment and appliances. Brisbane Tool Library works towards reducing consumption and waste, while prioritising access over ownership.
To learn more about what we do, have a look at:
- What’s On: we offer a year-round calendar of workshops, activities and events to help you learn and connect
- Our Work: get a sense of what has happened at The Edge and across State Library of Queensland
- Resources: explore the range of free facilities, hardware, software and equipment available to help you create
- Venue Hire: understand how we can support your next function with venues and specialist staff
- Join: become a State Library of Queensland member to receive benefits, including loans and access to e-books and online resources and booking meeting rooms
Our team is always interested in discussing how we can support your project, your organisation or your community. Get in touch if you want to talk further.