Edge’s Fabrication Lab is an open access community makerspace with equipment and tools available to anyone with a creative idea. If you have a hobby, project, assignment or an idea for a business that requires specialist tools like a laser cutter, soldering station, 3D printer, sewing machine or CNC Routers, The Edge’s Fabrication Lab can help.
Book and complete a safety induction on your chosen resource, and then it’s yours to book and use for free during Open Lab times. Inductions are very popular and generally run monthly or bi-monthly, with just 5-10 participants in each; you’ll need to book ahead of time. Each induction covers the safety procedure and requirements for the resource, along with how to operate/use the resource, pre-sets and troubleshooting. During your induction, you will use the resource to work on your own mini project, supplied by the facilitator.
To book and use a Fabrication Lab resource, you’ll first need to complete a safety induction on the piece of equipment you would like to use.
Inductions cost $25-$50 per person, and you’ll get to make something in the session to take away with you. You can complete an induction on any of the following Edge resources:
- Sewing Machine
- Soldering Iron
- 3D Printers
- Laser Cutter
- CNC Router
Once an induction has been completed, and you have been approved to use that particular resource, you may book the equipment free of charge. (There are a few conditions, so have a read through our booking policy and get in contact if you have any questions).
Open Lab – Opening hours
The Fabrication Lab is open to community on the following days:
- Wednesday 12–6pm (drop-in use only, no online bookings)
- Thursday 12–6pm (Hack the Evening commences from 5.30pm)
- Saturday 12–6pm
Note: These hours may be subject to change. Changes will be noted in our booking calendar.
Resource and Equipment specs
Would you like to know more about the resources, models, file formats and technical requirements? View our Fabrication Lab Equipment Specs sheet.
The Edge has a limited amount of consumables, such as 3D printing plastic, available to buy for use in the Fabrication Lab. Check out our pricelist.
If you’d like to use a material that isn’t on the Consumables list, please refer to our New and Exotic Materials guidelines.
The Edge is committed health and safety of its communities.
- Individuals are prohibited to use Fabrication Lab Equipment while under the influence of alcohol or any other substance.
- Enclosed shoes must be worn in the Fabrication Lab at all times.
- Please Note: Repeated failure to follow safety procedures or the directions of the Fabrication Lab Supervisor/ Facilitators will lead to temporary suspension of booking privileges.
Age requirements to complete induction and use resources
- 18+ years: may complete an induction and book and use equipment.
- 16-17 years: may complete induction and book and use equipment only with parent/guardian permission. Paperwork will be supplied during the induction.
Age requirements for Open Lab
- 16+ years: may visit the Fabrication Lab during Open Lab without parent/guardian permission; but must complete an induction before using the equipment.
- 12-15 years: may visit the Fabrication Lab during Open Lab only with parent/guardian permission; cannot use machinery.
Just getting started?
If you’re interested, but not sure where to start, come along to a free Hack the Evening meetup. Every Thursday night from 5.30pm in The Edge basement, tinkerers, hackers, hobbyists, artists, makers and programmers meet up to work on their own and collaborative projects. It’s a great opportunity to meet like-minded people and start your journey in The Edge’s Fabrication Lab. No registration or pre-booking is required to attend Hack the Evening, just arrive for 5.30pm and head downstairs to the basement. If you’d like to know more visit edgeqld.org.au/whats-on/. See you there!
Are you looking for some maker inspo?
View our #MADETODAY gallery – a gallery of inspiration featuring projects submitted by our maker community.